Wednesday, August 31, 2005

 

Resurrection II

Morbid or thought provocative?

This painting is "The Body of the Dead Christ in the Tomb" by Hans Holbein the Younger. Holbein did this oil painting in 1521. It is currently at Kunstmuseum, Öffentliche Kunstsammlung, Basle. As an aside, Holbein is known for his famous paintings of Henry VIII and wives. Nevertheless, this painting had a great impact on Fyodor Mikhailovich (a.k.a Dostoyevsky, author of famous works like Crime and Punishment). To Dostoyevsky, this painting showed that God did truly become a Man. And he died!

I am by far no expert in art; however, I have a great respect for the arts. Where I live in the realm of numbers and laws of nature, artists live in concepts and laws of emotion. For the time being, I hope to attempt to be an artist. To me, art--poetry, paintings, sculptures, music, etc.--can be considered true art if they stir emotion in most observors. Holbein's painting, by my definition, is true art. The first emotion that hit me was one of shock. Then came disgust and discomfort. I was then taken into the emotion of sadness. Christ could have really looked like this. He died and was dead for three days. And he did it for me. "Anyone who is hung on a tree is under God's curse" (Deuteronomy 21:23). Christ became a curse for me. Being a Christian and believing that Christ died for me, I immediately rush into the emotion of joy. Jesus is no longer dead and looking like that painting. He is alive--resurrected! Hallelujah! By studying this painting, I have quickly progressed through the emotions felt by the disciples during the weekend of Christ's death and resurrection. However, where I felt the emotion of shock, discomfort, and sadness in a few seconds, the disciples felt this for days. But not any more! We all can now celebrate the resurrection of Christ Jesus.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?