Saturday, September 10, 2005

 

The Face of God

"Moses said, 'Now show me your glory.'

And the LORD said, 'I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD [YHWH], in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. But,' he said, 'you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.' Then the LORD said, 'There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.'

... When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD. When Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, his face was radiant, and they were afraid to come near him. ... he put a veil over his face. ... Moses would put the veil back over his face until he went to speak with the LORD." (Exodus 33:18-23, 34:29,30,33,35 NIV)

Comments:
What do you imagine when you read how Moses saw the back of God? I have always imagined that Moses was high upon the side of the mountain and all was dark. When God removed His hand their was an incredilbe light that was almost blinding, and Moses could see the back of God. I also see God in this passage as a Giant. I know none of this is supported by the text. It is just how it has hit my mind and how I have seen it when reading. Curious to what your thoughts were.
 
I like that visualization. I cannot say that I have actually really tried to picture it. But I like how you visualize it!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?