Thursday, October 06, 2005

 

Difficult Passage

"Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 'If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple. And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.'" (Luke 14:25-27 NIV)

This passage is one of those passages that does not seem to cohere with the rest of Jesus's message. But from what I have seen over the last few days, I might understand the above passage a little better. The name of my blog might be a little misleading. In past blogs (and in future blogs) I have tried to concentrate on just Biblical passages without too much commentary. This post is leaning closer to MY thoughts.

Several days during the week I work at SMG Technology Elementary Magnet School. This school could probably be classified as an inner city school. I work with an after school program for 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders. There are two sets of brothers, W.A. & J.A. and R.S. and T.S. The other day J.A. threw a cookie at R.S. In retaliation both R.S. and his brother T.S. ganged up on him. Of course W.A. jumped into the picture since his brother J.A. was outnumbered. This is a typical example of what children do. However, is it not typical for adults as well?

I think as adults we sometimes feel obligated to stand-up for our 'brother' even if he is at fault. When I say 'brother' I do not nessicarily mean the son of our parents. As an example, our brother could be in the same gang or a fellow Freemason member. Our brother might even be symbolic of an educational institution or charitable organization--even a church. Many times I see that a brother is sometimes someone in our same people-group (rich, poor, Jew, Gentile, black, white, etc.) .

I think God wants us to hate sin and to not stand-up for it, even if our 'brother' is the one who commits the sin.

(Please give your thoughts!)

Comments:
I know this is late getting to you but I hope you read it anyway :-). I wonder if this passage doesn't speak to the fact that at some point we have to rely completely on Jesus and on him alone? Many of us tend to lean heavily on family and friends in times of trouble, and I see nothing wrong with that. But how many of us tend to draw our strength, hope, and even faith from our fathers and mothers? How many of us love our lives just the way they are and pray that nothing ever changes? Jesus also says Matt 16:25-26
25 "For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it." Could it be that Jesus is calling us to seek only Him, to find our identity only in Him, to find happiness, acceptance, glory, righteousness, holiness only in Him? How can we ever be discipled by Jesus when we are still tied to those things that keep us from really following him. The greek word used here is NT:3404

miseo (mis-eh'-o); from a primary misos (hatred); to detest (especially to persecute); by extension, to love less:

Could it also mean that we are to love Jesus first and love others less as the definition above defines.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.
 
I can see that, especially enlight of the Greatest Commandment and the second Commandment (which is like the first) Matt 22:37-40. Since the passage listed close relatives, I was just implying that maybe we could apply the passage to groups we associate. During that week I had seen many examples of where individuals were not able to put aside their attachment to someone or something at fault. But I agree with your point as well.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?