Saturday, October 22, 2005

 

Golden Lampstands


"He then made ten gold lampstands according to the specifications for them and placed them in the temple, five on the south side and five on the north." (1 Chronicles 4:7)

Modeled after the lampstand for the tabernacle:
"Make a lampstand of pure gold and hammer it out, base and shaft; its flowerlike cups, buds and blossoms shall be of one piece with it. Six branches are to extend from the sides of the lampstand--three on one side and three on the other. Three cups shaped like almond flowers with buds and blossoms are to be on once branch, three on the next branch, and the same for all six branches extending from the lampstand. ... Then make its seven lamps and set them up on it so that they light the space in front of it. Its wick trimmers and trays are to be of pure gold. A talent of pure gold is to be used for the lampstand and all these accessories. See that you make them according to the pattern shown you on the mountain." (Exodus 25:31-33, 37-40)

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." (Psalm 119:105)

"You are my lamp, O LORD; the LORD turns my darkness into light." (2 Samuel 22:29)

The following is a difficult passage to interpret, but very thought provocative:
"Then the angel who talked with me [Zechariah] returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from his sleep. He asked me, 'What do you see?'
I answered, 'I see a solid gold lampstand with a bowl at the top and seven lights on it, with seven channels to the lights. Also there are two olive trees by it, one on the right of the bowl and the other on its left.'
I asked the angel who talked to me, 'What are these, my lord?'
He answered, 'Do you not know what these are?'
'No, my lord,' I replied.
So he said to me, 'This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: "Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit," says the LORD Almighty.
'What are you, O mighty mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become level ground. Then he will bring out the capstone to shouts of "God bless it! God bless it!"'
Then the word of the LORD came to me: 'The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this temple; his hands will also complete it. Then you will know that the LORD Almighty has sent me to you.
'Who despises the day of the small things? Men will rejoice when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel.
'(These seven are the eyes of the LORD, which range throughout the earth.)'
Then I asked the angel, 'What are these two olive trees on the right and the left of the lampstand?'
Again I asked him, 'What are these two olive branches beside the two gold pipes that pour out golden oil?'
He replied, 'Do you not know what these are?'
'No, my lord," I replied.
So he said, 'These are the two who are annointed to serve the Lord of all the earth.'" (Zechariah 4)

"I [John] turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone 'like the son of man,' ..." (Revelation 1:12-13a)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?