Saturday, December 10, 2005

 

Nicodemus' Stance

"Finally the temple guards went back to the chief priests and Pharisees, who asked them, 'Why didn't you bring him in?' 'No one ever spoke the way this man does,' the guards declared. 'You mean he has deceived you also?' the Pharisees retorted. 'Has any of the rulers or of the Pharisees believed in him? No! But this mob that knows nothing of the law--there is a curse on them.' Nicodemus, who had gone to Jesus earlier and who was one of their number, asked, 'Does our law condemn anyone without first hearing him to find out what he is doing?' They replied, 'Are you from Galilee, too? Look into it, and you will find that a prophet does not come out of Galilee.'" (John 7:45-52 NIV)

The Pharisees are wrong twice in this passage. One, they say that no Pharisee has ever believed in Jesus. What about Nicodemus and, later, Joseph of Arimathea (Luke 23:51)? Second, they say that no prophet had come out of Galilee. This is my question to you, reader: can you name the prophet who came from the region of Galilee? Try to find the answer by using only the Bible.

Comments:
I will look this evening.
 
OK, I found him (or them), but I cheated. I originally thought it was Elijah from Tishbe because you had taught on him in Sunday School. I spent time searching for the ancient sight of Tishbe. The location of Tishbe seems to be in dispute. But, in my searchings -- this is where the cheating comes in -- I found that Jonah was from Galilee (Gath-hepher, specifically).

I also read that Nahum and Hosea could have been from Galilee.
 
Correct! Jonah was what I was looking for.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?