Monday, January 23, 2006

 

Hodos, Aletheia, and Zoe

hodos: "a path, road, way"

"But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way. ... Love is patient and kind ..." (1 Corinthians 12:31, 13:4 ESV)

aletheia: "truth, the reality lying at the basis of an appearance; the manifested, veritable essence of a matter" I did not know what 'veritable meant; so I looked it up. (veritable: being in fact the thing named and not false, unreal, or imaginary.) Nice word!

"For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. I [Paul] am speaking the truth [aletheia] in Christ--I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy Spirit..." (Romans 8:38-9:1)

zoe: "of life as a principle, life in the absolute sense, life as God has it, that which the Father has in Himself, and which He gave to the Incarnate Son to have in Himself" We get the word zoo and zoology from this Greek word.

"If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory." (Colossians 3:1-4)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?