Monday, January 02, 2006

 

Wesley's Conversion

Many people have fantastic stories about the first experience of putting their faith in Jesus Christ. What follows is not that kind of story. Some people know the exact year, month, day, and second they were saved from eternal condemnation. I do not even know the year. But this is what I do know …

I was a young boy still in elementary school. I had gone to a Baptist church since I was born. I had attended Sunday School and Worship Service almost every Sunday. The main reason for the almost perfect attendance was that my father was the pastor. I believed more fundamental truths than most young Christians—more than many older Christians I know today as well. The best that a 7 to 10 year old boy could, I believed God created the world in six days; I believed the first humans, that is Adam and Eve, were the first to sin; I believed Noah was rescued from a world-wide flood; I believed God spoke to Moses from a burning bush; I believed God rescued his people from Egypt; and I believed in Saul, Solomon, and David. I even knew that Jesus was the son of God (and somehow God himself) and was born to a virgin (I probably did not know what a virgin was at that time—but I believed it). I believed Jesus died and arose on the third day and ascended to Heaven. I had learned all this in Sunday School. I could even tell you the books of the Bible in order (however, I always had trouble around the Minor Prophets). But was I a Christian? No.

I clearly remember standing and singing on one of the last nights of Vacation Bible School in a very small church. A few Sundays before, my good friend and part-sister L (http://amagicbeanbuyer.blogspot.com/) had gone forward and asked to be baptized. I probably was thinking about that. I clearly remember this nervous feeling. Should I step out into the isle and go forward? It was a heavy burden. Before I knew it I had gone forward and told my dad I wanted to accept Jesus into my heart and returned back to my seat. Looking back, that moment seems like a flash of light. The only other thing I remember is that my Sunday School teacher L. Reed was standing behind me, and she put her hand on my shoulder when I returned.

That is it! Simple, right? Well, for me looking back it seemed very simple. However, for Jesus to come 'into my heart' was something very fantastic. That great wonder is something that I have begun to realize in growing up. Was it the knowledge of the Bible that saved me? Of course not! Was it being the son of a pastor? No! All of these helped me realize the need for salvation, but the only thing to save me was the grace of Jesus Christ.

I now have a friend who sticks closer than a brother—literally. I can talk to him at anytime. I still disappoint him and probably make him mad at times. But I have the hope (not a wishing hope, but a longing hope) of his return where I can clearly see this friend that I talk to. All you need is faith, not belief!!

Comments:
Even the devil believes in Jesus. He knows scripture, has seen God, yet he has not allowed Jesus to be Lord of his life.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?