Thursday, February 23, 2006

 

The Law versus Grace Musical

Now for something a little different. In the car, I have been listening to musical Les Miserables by Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg and based on the novel by Victor Hugo. Many sections seem to correspond to my previous posts. Therefore, I will share a few lines of the musical in the following days. Keep in mind that Jean Valjean is the criminal (and 'good' guy of the plot) and Javert is the policeman (and 'bad' guy).

JAVERT
Now bring my prisoner 24601
Your time is up
And your parole's begun
You know what that means.

VALJEAN
Yes, it means I'm free

JAVERT
No! It means you get
Your yellow ticket-of-leave
You are a thief.

VALJEAN
I stole a loaf of bread.

JAVERT
You robbed a house.

VALJEAN
I broke a window pane.
My sister's child was close to death
And we were starving.

JAVERT
You will starve again
Unless you learn the meaning of the law.

VALJEAN
I know the meaning of those 19 years
A slave of the law.

JAVERT
Five years for what you did
The rest because you tried to run
Yes, 24601

Comments:
I guess you could also use Les Mis to illustrate the Wisdome vs. Folly duo in Proverbs. "Lovely Ladies" vs. Cosette. Just a thought.
 
oops, Wisdom not Wisdome
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?