Tuesday, May 30, 2006

 

I Have a Dream ...

Before starting the next series, I wanted to take the time and express a dream I have. Last fall I started volunteering at an inner city school here in Knoxville. From the experience I realized one of the largest weaknesses of the black community is their male influence—or lack there of. (This weak male influence is also prevalent in the white community, but it is slightly different.) Hence, my dream was created.

I would open a recreation center. During the school year, two or three of the center’s buses would go and pick up 30-40 elementary school boys. The boys would be brought to the center and divided into groups. For one hour (let’s say 3:30 to 4:30) volunteer tutors would help the boys with homework. If the boy had no homework, math or reading skills could be targeted. After homework, the boys could go downstairs and play ping-pong, billiards, or basketball from 4:30 to 5:30 or 6:00. Parents could pick their kids up around 6:00 or the center’s buses could be sent out. On special nights, dinner would be served to the selected boys and their families. Every night at 6:00, the center would be open to the public until 9:00. On Saturday or holidays, the center could be open to the public as well. Local basketball teams or church small groups could also reserve courts.

The main purpose of the recreation center would be to attract males primarily. This non-intimidating environment would allow churches to come and reach the center’s attendants. Bible studies could be held after the 3:30 to 4:30 tutoring. My goal would be to have the majority of the volunteers to be Christians.

But what about funding? I would hope to establish support from local churches. In exchange, when the center is closed on Sunday, the buses could be used to transport kids (and adults) to church. As director, I would talk to the administration of the feeding elementary schools and be selective with the boys chosen. After establishing a relationship with the boys and their families, the center could act as a middle man between the local churches and the families.

I have quickly sketched what would be a cool recreation center (click the two pictures to get a larger view). The gym would contain a full sized basketball court that could be sub-divided into three miniature courts. Three half-courts would also exist outside. The dinning room would act as an all-purpose room. The class-rooms would be upstairs, along with my office. My office would have a large glass window that would look down onto the basketball courts.

If you have not realized, I like to dream big! Do-dodo-do! Bring on the dream-slayers. (inside family joke)

Comments:
Hair,
That is a wonderful idea! I must comment that in my work with the school and scouts I see the damage created by the lack of a male (or also female) influence in the lives of these children. It is a great need that must be met. It would be wonderful to be able to help meet that need with people of a good influence rather than those of highly questionable and immoral influence. I think that this is an idea that would touch and forever change the lives of many!
 
I am totally inspired! Great idea! I would love to be a liason for you and the student ministry here!
 
Can I have a job? This is great stuff Hair. don't give up.
 
Go for it! There is nothing wrong with dreaming big! We have a big God!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?