Monday, May 29, 2006

 

Timid Timothy

“For this reason I [Paul] remind you [Timothy] to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God …” (2 Timothy 1:6-8 NIV)

I have heard that with gifts, or talents, come disabilities, or weaknesses. If Timothy’s gift was servitude, his weakness might have been timidity. We might see further proof in Paul’s first letter to Corinth.

“When Timothy comes, see that you put him at ease among you, for he is doing the work of the Lord, as I am. So let no one despise him. Help him on his way in peace, that he may return to me, for I am expecting him with the brothers.” (1 Corinthians 16:10, 11 ESV)

Why was Timothy timid? His timidity might be attributed to his close relationship with the knowledgeable and possibly intimidating Apostle Paul. He probably did not have an awesome conversion experience as Paul did. Furthermore, Timothy might not have thought he could compare with Paul, as today, we might not think we can compare with Billy Graham or Adrian Rogers. However, Timothy might have been timid just because of his personality. But I believe Paul sheds some light on Timothy’s timid nature in his first letter to Timothy.

“Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.” (1 Timothy 4:12 NIV)

I should do likewise.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?