Tuesday, August 08, 2006

 

Jewish History Intermission

“The LORD said to Moses, ‘Take the staff, and you and your brother Aaron gather the assembly together. Speak to that rock before their eyes and it will pour out its water. You will bring water out of the rock for the community so they and their livestock can drink.’ So Moses took the staff from the LORD’s presence, just as he commanded him. He and Aaron gathered the assembly together in front of the rock and Moses said to them, ‘Listen, you rebels, must we bring you water out of this rock?’ Then Moses raised his arm and struck the rock twice with his staff. Water gushed out, and the community and their livestock drank. But the LORD said to Moses and Aaron, ‘Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them.’” (Numbers 20:7-12 NIV)

Today Mom came home from school. She was shocked, frustrated, and saddened by decisions made by her administrators. They were clearly making poor decisions. Being the knowledgeable engineer I am*, I had a solution. However, by analogy of the above passage, my solution was strike the rock, Mom. Strike it hard. Go to the administrators and say, “Listen, you rebels!”

“A prudent man keeps his knowledge to himself, but the heart of fools blurts out folly.” (Proverbs 12:23)

I was wrong. I gave bad advice. But God says,

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)

*-Please pray for my VBM (verbal bowel movement)

Comments:
Hair, I too struggle with this, of course you probably already knew this. I always want to fix things, give advice, motivate others to get into the ring and move into action. I am hypersensitive to not being a victim which sometimes leads me to a VBM.
 
"Being the knowledgeable engineer I am*, I had a solution." This also has SO much to do with being a man...men are fixers - it's just how they are wired. You'll find a woman often vents just to get it out, not always to have it fixed.
~awc
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?