Saturday, September 02, 2006

 

Spirit of Power


“You who bring good tidings to Zion, go up on a high mountain. You who bring good tidings to Jerusalem, lift up your voice with a shout, lift it up, do not be afraid; say to the towns of Judah, ‘Here is your God!’” (Isaiah 40:9 NIV)

Last weekend I went with part of my family on a hike (see here ). Before lunch we came to a great water hole. After standing around for awhile, I decided to jump in. I finally got my courage up to swim across to what I initially thought was a big rock. For those who know me, I am not much of a risk taker. I actually avoid risks. I prefer being a spectator. No entrepreneur blood in this body. After several minutes a group of young boys arrived at the water hole. Following behind what appeared to be the braver boy, the group of boys scurried up huge rocks on the opposite side of the water hole. From there they jumped from a very high rock into the center of the pool. Why were the boys not afraid? Why is it some people will take risks while others like me stand around and watch? I think the answer is personality. I will always be cautious.

However, as a Christian I am commanded to step out and take risks when it comes to witnessing and to spreading God’s Word. The above passage in Isaiah says I should stand on the high mountain and shout. The Great Commission says I should “go and make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:19). Paul tells Timothy:

“God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord.” (2 Timothy 1:7-8)

I might have a personality that is cautious and timid, but I have a Spirit that is powerful.

By the way, the picture to the left is me jumping off that very high rock.

Comments:
For someone who normally would not take such a risk, I dub you Brave Sir Wesley! May the power of your Spirit contantly show in all that you do!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?