Monday, October 23, 2006

 

Three Church Member Types

Type 1: The Uncommitted

“Early in the morning, [Gideon] and all his men camped at the spring of Harod. The camp of Midian was north of them in the valley near the hill of Moreh. The LORD said to Gideon, ‘You have too many men for me to deliver Midian into their hands. In order that Israel may not boast against me that her own strength has saved her, announce to the people, “Anyone who trembles with fear may turn back and leave Mount Gilead.”’ So twenty-two thousand men left, while ten thousand remained.” (Judges 7:1-3 NIV)

I believe the modern church can be compared to Gideon’s army. I classify the members of the modern congregations into three categories. The first type I call The Uncommitted. Sadly, this group is by far the largest in our churches today. Nearly 70% of Gideon’s army was uncommitted.

The Uncommitted go to church on most Sunday mornings and occasionally/rarely on Sunday nights. They often mean well but find themselves too busy or too tired to completely participate. Just as most young men in Gideon’s time were expected to join the military service, most church members feel they are expected to attend the worship service. However, those who see attendance as the most important aspect are better off going home.

Comments:
I'm looking forward to your third type so that I can have a full view of where you are going to end up.

I don't think you are comparing church attendance and subsequent involvement with all the various and sundry activities with a commitment to Christ Himself?

Well.....at least I hope not! :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?